Pope Francis and Civil Unions.

 I have read what the Pope said on Civil Unions for homosexuals. I have read the defences put forward by those who support him, and I must say I am very perplexed.   What the Pope is actually saying is "Ok, if you are going to carry on a sinful life, then at least do it in a family setting, commit yourselves to each other in a life of sin, and you have my approval"   Of course what the Pope said, from a human point of view, is very understanding. the good within us reaches out to the gay people, we do wish them well and the best from our hearts, but it is not the teaching of Christ and it seldom leads to happiness.   We could from this way of thinking justify brothels.   But sin is sin, and never in the history of the Church have the Fathers recommended a more comfortable way of sinning.

Of course I am talking about Church teaching in this and the Church has a very bad name in the secular world and on the above I will be called a bigot and nasty right winger.   But let us turn the subject round to responsibility.   You may remember in the Gospels that Christ was criticised for eating and drinking with Publicans and Sinners.     His reply was that he was not called to save the just but to save these very people.   He was their friend because he loved them, and it is through love that he could save them, not teaching and preaching doctrine.   He did not argue the commandments with them but instead spoke to them in parables, and using loving stories.   WE must do likewise, show love, love that builds bridges.   Yes, doctrine is cold and unacceptable without that love.     I am a father of six boys.  If one of them became homosexual then what is my duty?   Is it to send them out of their home and tell them not to return until they mend their wicked ways, while preaching the words of Christ on sin to them?   No, no, that is the time when my love is tested.   I will sit and speak to the sinner as Christ did.   He will always be part of my family and welcome to return.  Yes I will register my disapproval as a Catholic and they will know of my concern but I know that one day he may need me, so if he continually returns I will not raise the matter again, he will know only my love.    In my extended family I had one father who left his wife and child to be a homosexual, two years later he was found in a car having committed suicide.  And suicide is high among homosexuals.  But I hope I will be there if he reaches such a low point.

What if he wants to come to Church with me.   I would advise him not to take Holy Communion, since his life is at odds with Christ and his teaching on Adultery.   But then there are many other forms of adultery which are equally sinful.     What I am saying is that I will love my son despite his homosexuality, I will love all homosexuals despite their homosexuality, and I look for no reward in doing so.   It is what Christ asks of me.    My family will always be his family.   My God will always be his God. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'