"If you use religious property for profit you should pay taxes" says the Pope

I am one hundred per cent behind the Pope on this.  If religious communities, but let me go further "parishes", use property for profit then they should not receive tax exemption.   But the Pope was speaking in the context of the refugee problem and certainly using property for profit instead of using such property as a charity is unchristian.

I may have made myself unpopular recently by pointing out that such properties exist within  Catholic parishes, but I can now today quote the Pope in my defence.     Let us not start yet again raising money from parishioners then rushing to the housing market until other means have been identified and the clergy played their part.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'