OUR VERY SPECIAL SAINTS

 One of the teachings of the Church is found in the Apostles Creed when we say we believe in the Communion of Saints.    We are saying we believe that all Catholics are united not only here on earth where we see them visibly present, but they are still part of the Church when they die and are in heaven or in purgatory, indeed they are still part of our community, and are caring for us as much as they did on earth.

OK, we offer Masses for their souls and do all we can, especially for our family members, to ensure they are in heaven, where they will look down on us with gratitude.    We may turn to the many people the Church has declared saints and ask for their intercession but there is one thing we often miss.    Our dear departed in Heaven are also saints and those in purgatory, who are already rejoicing in their coming salvation, are also wanting us to be in heaven, or at least be there with them, and since God has not deserted them they can pray to Him, just as we pray for them.    

We often fail to think of our departed as saints  because the Church did not canonize them.    So we turn to our patron saints in times of trouble, the ones the Church teaches us to offer prayer to in our battles here on earth.   Yes, they do wonderful things, but are not our relatives and friends also engaged in wonderful things and they will, more than the saints around them, have a special interest in us. 

When I say my Rosary my mind often wanders to earthly things and my concentration on heavenly things is lacking.    Recently I started asking my long departed father and mother, and my sister Janette to say the Rosary with me.   When I do this, my rosaries are more meditative, and I feel a strong presence of my sister especially.   I can almost hear her say "Why did you not ask me before?"   It is a great treasure I have found.   So let me sum up what I am saying, MAKE THE DEPARTED IN YOUR FAMILY YOUR VERY SPECIAL SAINTS.     Do not sit and weep over them and wish they were here, THEY ARE. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'