ON THE AGONY OF JESUS IN THE GARDEN

There have been times in my life as a Catholic where I experienced Spiritual Joy.   In my early days it was at those wonderful parish retreats when after a week of talks almost the whole parish had gone to Confession filled with the inspiration they had been given.     In later life I had the joy of going on pilgrimages and coming back ready to continue my life as a saint.   The feelings never lasted very long I am sorry to say,  and I began to look forward to my next spiritual drive.   In this I do not think I am so different from most other Catholics, O yes we want to be saints but it does take quite an effort  and we quickly go back to being sinners and trying to justify ourselves by going to Church on a Sunday where we excuse our sins by saying God is Love and  that all is well and our sins do not matter.

I have had a different experience lately that really woke me up.   During a visit to the Pilgrim Statue of Our Lady of Fatima I had a moment of enlightenment.   I compared it in a previous post to sudeenly tuning an old valve radio to the very difficult spot where the distractions of other programmes were at a minimum or had disappeared, and the whole call of Our Lady was clear to me and rang out with a clarity I had never experienced.   I came home with my spiritual experience and somehow I knew that  I really had to take it seriously.   If I was going to pray for the conversion of sinners then I had to be someone worthy of the graces that would come their way from Mary.   It was not just my soul that was at stake but the souls of others.    I had to take up my cross and turn to Mary when I was tempted.   Gradually it got very difficult and I realised I had to give up a lot of worldly interests to keep my mind on what was after all my vocation as a lay Catholic.   I had a great interest in politics so that had to go and I now watch very few political programmes and do not even give my opinions on my Facebook page, though to be honest I do slip now and again.   I have many distractions when saying the Rosary but I am trying and that is  all Mary wants of me.   The new life is not easy and any illusions that I am a saint has totally gone..

Last Friday at Adoration I experienced what could only be called a Satanic attack.    I started thinking of what a useless person I was to believe I could achieve anything.    My sins of the past and there were very serious ones from my youth flooded my mind.   These brought with them all the temptations that I had been subjected to then.   Calling on Mary did not bring help and I was almost breaking out  in a sweat.    Then Adoration was over and the agony was gone.   Yes, it was an agony and later I reflected on the Agony of Jesus in the garden.    Unlike my little mission Jesus had the salvation of the world in his mind.   As he prayed I am sure Satan came to him and said  "Come on Jesus, do you really think you can rescue these human beings?   Even in this Church of yours  very few will want to suffer for you.   They will never build your Kingdom so call off this Crucifixion of yours".  And looking at the evidence through the centuries until we arrive at the unchristian world of today perhaps the Devil had a  point.  The real agony  that so many would not listen that Jesus really did make Jesus feel helpless   I can well understand his sweating blood when he saw the truth..   But he took courage in  that even allowing for this there would still be millions saved.   To those who are trying to be good Satan will always whisper lies.     We must be prepared like Jesus to take up our Cross whatever lies ahead and however useless we are made to feel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'