DOES THE TABLET EMPLOY ANYONE WITH INTELLIGENCE?

My last post was questioning an article in the Tablet, an English publication for those who are 'enlightened'.   On the internet I have come across their website and found another one of those enlightened articles.  This time the Pope Emeritus Benedict had come from an award ceremony where he was honoured by the University of Cracow, and explained that he liked Mozart music because it was pure and European and does not have its equal in any other culture.  He also stated that this music brought people in touch with the divine.. That was his opinion and it is one I share and many others will share, some may disagree but that is always the case and they have a right to disagree and we can talk and appreciate our points of view.   But the Tablet, which caters for people who are better than the rest of us went into overdrive.   Suddenly there were attacks on the Pope Emeritus for daring to say this.   A great musician, a FEMINIST, or course, described this statement as mysogony, intolerant and even teaching racial purity.    Did the Pope not realise that Beethoven's music embodied violence.  Well I must remember that the next time I listen to Beethoven, that he is making me violent, perhaps the fact that he was deaf had something to do with his music.   Some other composer was enjoyed by Adolf Hitler so we know what to think of his music.     But excuse me for being stupid but the Pope was speaking of Mozart, and a host of other musicians.   And I agree with him.   Schubert lifts me to the divine when I hear his Ave Maria.   Then there are a host of composers who wrote wonderful music based on the Mass and those who listen certainly find their spirits raised to God.   Our Feminist friend decides that this is an attack on the music of other cultures, but this is untrue.    Christianity flourished in Europe hundreds of years before it was spread to many other parts of the world.   Certainly they have good cheerful hymns to sing But nothing raises my heart of God more than the classical music by these composers.   When I go to Communion on a Sunday to someone singing Ave Maria, or a choir sing Panis Angelicas, it certainly helps me contemplate what I am about to receive much better than Bind Us Together, my should is raised to the divine   And whereas Moslems build mosques, our European architecturr spans all parts of our civilisation.    European Classical music lifts the soul, it is not just words to sing.    The Pope Emeritus finished by saying that this is something we should think about.  I doubt though if anyone on the board of the Tablet can actually do that.  They see themselves as non triumphalist.  In fact they are the worst as they berate others.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'