The Story of the Eucharist: Part 4

Before Vatican II we used to celebrate the Latin Mass on a Sunday.   Before Holy Communion the altar cloth would be put over the rails to give the impression that we were kneeing at a table.  From this kneeling position we would receive the Flesh of Jesus Christ.   Now since the Flesh of Jesus Christ is God made Man coming to me, a mere creature with Love and Mercy, I did as a Young Man kneel when we were told to stand, for how I greet my God is my decision and with my love for Jesus I could do no other.   There were mumblings about coming forward as a Community and nothing really happening when you receive Jesus, which is complete and utter nonsense.   His flesh is joined to mine and I greet him as the God who loves me.     It was, we were told, when we returned to our seats and became part of the Community that something happened, though just what happened was never quite explained.   But again we were ridding ourselves of that horrible Catholicism and many embraced this strange teaching.   If I kneel now I cannot rise and what I need, and many younger people who defy this community nonsense, is a kneeler to support us.  Let those who want to stand do so, let those who want to receive on the hand do so, but do not tell the rest of us how we should behave before God.

Of course it was all a sham.   I went one Saturday Morning to the Catholic Primary School my boys attended.   A New Catechism was to be introduced, yes a new modern Catechism.    Having noted that it contained nothing on the Sacred Species I gave my verdict from the seats.   If you are going to teach nothing about the greatest teaching in the Catholic Church around which the Mass centres, you will destroy the Faith of the children.   Later I asked the leading Parish Catechist if they taught the children about the presence of Jesus.    "Oh, they are too young to understand" was the reply.   I did not ask, as I was tempted, if she understood.  Certainly at 84 I am no further on in my understanding.   But as a child I did believe.  It was after this that the moving of the Blessed Sacrament from the altar in many Catholic Churches began.    Yes, it was planned and carried out ruthlessly sometimes.   In my own parish I came upon the notes on the last Parish Council Meeting which was drawn up plans for the moving of the Blessed Sacrament.   While reading the Priest passed me by, so I asked him why the Sacrament was being removed.    "It is not liturgically correct" he replied.    "Who said so" I asked.    "Are you trying to tell me my job" he replied and left me slamming a door.   Now I normally would have not mentioned this priest and this incident, except that the Sacrament was not removed and how he worked that against a Council stacked with reformists I do not know.   But God bless him.

What effect has this had on our young people?    Well 95 per cent of children have given up Church by the time they reach 13.   They are not enthused by the 'loving community' idea, and the removal of devotion to Jesus, those dreadful devotions, means that He has had no impact on their lives.    A result of this has been a fall in the number of young men coming forward to be priests.   O no, I must not say that!    It is the times we live in, of course it is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'