My Dream

                         I saw my Jesus kneeling in the Garden
                         I saw the tears that glistened on his face
                         I heard him ask the Father for the pardon
                         Of all mankind, whatever time or place
                         I watched the crowd of angry men surround him
                         "Is this the one we seek?" their voices hiss
                         I hear my own voice answer "Yes, we've found Him"
                         I see myself betray him with a kiss

                         I saw his pain and anguish as they scourged him
                         With ever stroke his eyes filled up with tears
                         He did not cry for mercy as they urged him
                         But just ignored their taunting and their sneers
                         And as he stood their suffering the violence
                         I pleaded with the soldiers "Set him free"
                         But suddenly my voice was lost in silence
                         I saw the soldier scourging him was me

                         A purple robe of scorn the soldiers lent him
                         Then vowed that they would give this King a crown
                         They gathered thorns to torture and torment him
                         Which deep into his skull was hammered down
                          I tried to weep, but evil now had bound me
                          This dream was not the kind of dream I planned
                          I stood there with the soldiers all around me
                          The one who had the hammer in his hand.

                          The cross of wood was placed upon his shoulders
                          Three time he fell beneath the heavy load
                           But  spat upon and whipped along by soldiers
                           He made his way along that lonely road
                           "Is this the great Messiah" they were calling
                           "Is this our King of Kings, so tall and proud"
                           His love for me had brought him to this falling
                           But I just stood there laughing with the crowd.

                           A woman of great sorrow stood there with him
                           And in her loving arms he tried to hide
                           With all the strength and love that she could give him
                           He carried on, his mother by his side
                           Her eyes caught mine, those eyes so sadly pleading
                           "And will you also walk with him today?"
                           But I just stood there heartless and unheeding
                           Then turned my back and quickly ran away
           
                            Upon the wooden cross the soldiers nailed him
                            And raised him high for everyone to see
                            Abandoned now, for all his friends had failed him
                            He cried "My God, have you forsaken me?"
                            And then he whispered "Father, please forgive them
                            They know not of this evil path they trod"
                            The sinful heart within me dies there with him
                            As on my knees I look upon my God.

                            The Cross of Christ now stands there in its glory
                            A thing of shame and yet a thing of pride
                            For on its wood was played this awesome story
                            That for our sins our God was crucified
                            Yet still so thankless is the world we live in
                            So full of hate and killing, tears and pain
                            And every day he whispers "Please forgive them"
                            And every day is crucified again.

                            John Kearney.




                          



















                                                
                   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'