THE FEAST OF THE HOLY INNOCENTS; On being Pro-Life, Pro-Family, and Pro-Catholic.

Even as I write this babies are being cut to pieces in the same way that Herod killed the innocent in Bethlehem.  And these babies like the Bethlehem ones are being killed for the same reason - they pose a threat.   In my younger days I worked hard in the Life movement.  I marched on the streets, wore my pro-life badge and for 4 years running i collected money at every Mass in my parish and a neighbouring one.  I gave out those little stick on Flowers of SPUC to almost everyone and only in one occasion did a feminist rebuke me although others were not quite happy and its soon ended.   "I believe in God the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and Earth..." we say every Sunday.  As a Catholic I fervently believe what I say and that that little being in the womb was created by God.  Although there are Catholics who disagree thank God they are still not in the majority although they do well to silence the Church.   Again just like my argument on divorce and remarriage I do not listen as much to the secular arguments but I ask myself where Jesus stands in Scripture.   "Thou Shall not Kill"   It is something of sorrow to me that Abortion is such a money spinner and to justify abortion many women have hardened their hearts to the reality of the child in the womb.  It is no longer accepted that we just have a group of cells, so that argument has gone on to the rather despicable idea that the baby although a baby is not human.    The Church has compromised itself on this issue when it gave in to contraception.   It should have been obvious that this quesiton went further than a husband and wife and  the size of the family.   It led to the sexual exploitation of innocent young girls many at school who were eventually told by many priests that it did not matter.   This was of course to tell them that the teachings of Jesus no longer mattered.  With this breakdown came the breakdown in family life itself.   And becoming pregnant and the Church giving no lead, the girls are led to abortion clinics to do something that so many regret for the rest of their lives.    I know many single parents who in their later years living alone wish that they could start all over and have that baby.  

So what would I see or should I see in a Church with a Pro-life group.   If a young girl wanders in looking for help she may not have the courage to talk face to face so a notice with a telephone number would be helpful.   The life group should be prominent in the Parish, and during Life Sunday, yes there is such a thing, the group should talk at each Mass on Abortion but not losing sight that there will be young or older women in the congregation who have had one.  The speech should be compassionate.  Mine always were.    Life should not be just a hobby in the parish but Christ reaching out in mercy to help those in sorrow.   The task is enormous and we are there to rescue babies and there is no other motive in being pro-life, like giving greater choice to women.  WE serve God and our neighbour and every beautiful person created by God whether they are living inside or outside of the womb.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'