The Wisdom of St Catherine of Sienna

 Today is the feast of St Catherine of Sienna.    She was one of twenty five children and chose to enter a convent at an early age.   With such a large number of siblings it is not surprising that a quiet convent life was appealing.    But Catherine soon found herself in a position where her wisdom was called upon by many.   From individuals she found herself as a broker of peace between warring cities, and she even told a Pope Gregory who was happy in his life outside Rome to return there.   It has always surprised me that in a Church dominated by male clergy so many women have been such an influence.     But Catherine was devoted to Jesus and suffered much from an invisible stigmata, although once she prayed to Jesus to exchange his heart for hers and thereafter bore witness to the exchange by a large bruise on her side.   Catherine was an extraordinary women and because of her many reflections she was declared a Doctor of the Church.

That is the background of the saint but as I listened to a Mass from Walsngham this morning, a priest told of one of her teachings which made my heart leap, since it was something I was trying to grapple with over the years.    In better words than mine she had taught that knowing someone is a prerequisite to love, and you cannot love someone unless you know him or her.   That is knowing Jesus and who he was by reading scripture, spending time in prayer and devotions, and what was important to me, talking to him and seeing him in the many gifts he gives us.    I remember a time when I was  trying to convince myself that on matters Catholic I was wise and wonderful.    The Parish priest introduced me to a young boy who was going to receive his First Communion.   I mumbled words like "How nice" and "Good luck" but looking back at the incident I was disappointed with myself.    If I was really whom I thought I was, as an elder of the Church I should have been giving words of inspiration.   But I knew little of Jesus and could not therefore speak of him with excitement.    St Catherine in her way told me the answer.   I should have told him "After receiving Jesus, go back to your seat and say this prayer 'Jesus, teach me to know you and to love you'.    Jesus has so many ways he will make himself known to any person who asks.  It just takes what I lack - humility

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'