Evangelisation. One Lord Jesus Christ

I believe in One Lord Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son....."

In  the Catechism I read at school there was this question:-

Where is Jesus Christ?

Answer;     As God, Jesus Christ is everywhere, but as GOD MADE MAN  He is in Heaven and in the Blessed Sacrament of the Altar.

What this answer is saying is that in Spirit Jesus is always with us, He guides us He listens to us, he is  always present, but in the Blessed Sacrament we have the physical presence, He whom we will fall down and adore at our judgement, really present with us.   "Behold I am with you al days, even to the end of the world"   "But surely" some will say, supporting ecumenism and the Protestant position, "This is all medieval stuff"   But the writings of the early Fathers show this to be totally untrue.  Let us quote from JND Kelly, a Protestant Historian of the early Church, who wrote "Eucharistic teaching it should be understood from the outset was unquesitionably realist i.e. the consecrated bread and wine were taken to be, and designated as, the Savior's Body and Blood".    

Kelly also writes that Ignatius of Antioch wrote that the bread is the flesh of Jesus and the wine his blood.   But we have also so many of the Fathers of the early Church attesting to the Real presence such as Irenaeus, Hippolytus, St Justin Martyr, Tertullian.    In fact when a Protestant Evangelist Scott Hahn decided to do an ind depth study of the Early Church, he suddenly turned to his wife and told her "We have got to become Catholics".   Many of his fellow ministers followed.   When the Eastern Church broke away in the 7th century they brought the richness of the Roman Liturgy of the Mass with them, as well as devotion to Our Lady. neither could remotely be called medieval

So we come to the 12th century and the building of great Cathedrals and stone Churches.    Just as the Word of God was kept by the Jews in Tabernacles, so the Church built Tabernacles for the Word Made Flesh.    Christ dwelling amongst us.    And people came to adore and worship.   Now I remember about 30 years ago being told that the Sacrament was not meant to be worshipped.   I did ask where that information came from, but as usual got no reply.   If Jesus is present in the Tabernacle then I believe, so I adore and worship Him.    And when I receive Him in Holy Communion, He is my God coming to me, to talk to me, to help me in my life, to help me to love him.   I have no need of community at that moment in time, for Jesus is everything.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'