Why are we afraid to look at what we have done to young people?

I have been looking over the subjects I have posted on this blog. There were some that I found great interest in from the 'audience" I had. These were the subjects about the teachings of the Church and many wanted to read these to find if my views on the sacraments and Catholic Teaching matched theirs. We are very divided on such matters However there are matters which we would rather not comment on. These posts are usually about the plight of young people in the Church. Perhaps it is just that everyone knows about young people and how they are neglected but feel helpless and would rather not comment or get involved. That will never be me. I have a very small life in this planet and the people I know are but a drop in the ocean of humanity. But when I find in this small setting there are so many suffering children I have to ask what is the universal picture if everyone in their small circles knows young people to a smaller or greater extent than mine. So let me go through my experiences, and may I say all of these children attended Catholic schools. I have changed their names to protect their identity. I met Jenny and Martha one day when I saw a larger girl with a smaller girl under her fighting off the sidewalk. The younger girl was being hit repeatedly on the face as she lay on the ground. I intervened and was told by the larger one that the little one was her sister and she would get her when I left. I walked the little one home however. It was I found just another broken family home. I know Molly who brought up her daughter Jane from when she was a baby without a husband who had walked out on her when the baby was born. Jane grew up feeling hurt and lonely and although grown up is still unable to pursue relationships, a problem she had at school. Alex once cut his arm with a razor in order to print I Hate Dad on his arm. Cecelia was told by her husband that he was leaving her because he had found he had same sex attraction, she was left to raise their only daughter on her own. Then there is Margaret, who was a little backward, but had 4 children out of wedlock. One has a partner right enough but the others, raised without contact with a father suffer depression and at 12 the youngest told her cousin "I do not believe in God, for it there was a God my family would not be in such a mess" I remember one time the BBC were talking about the knife crimes in London and once reporter dared to say "the problem is too many of these young men do not have fathers" I said this at a meeting and a woman came back to me and said "You are right about fathers being a problem, only last week there was a fight outside my front door with boys calling names to one another and one voice said "It is not my fault I have a father" Just sit down and ask yourself how many of these children do you know? But the real harm is that without a father young girls are easily led into bad relationships and become single mothers themselves, and there are countless examples. Well what can we do? Instead of our prayers in Church being about Brexit and problems thousands of miles away, could we not just pray for the suffering just outside our front doors. Perhaps we have become a Churh of snobs and self-righteous people who do not mix with 'that sort' It is time we did. It is among these young people that Christ would be. The children trying to find an identity in a broken home who turn to sex, drugs, alcohol, self harm and suicide They do not believe God cares for them because God's People do not seem to care for them. Of course all this is caused by marriage breakdown but then we are not too keen in discussing this either for we have betrayed Jesus so badly in our own lives, following the secular state rather than the Church.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'