My First Watch Before the Tabernacle.

Yesterday, Thursday, I completed my First Watch before Jesus in the Tabernacle.    I had  a small book with me called The Watchful Hour, a CTS publication, by Fr Florian Radine which I had bought on Tuesday from the CTS stall and began at 2.30 pm to read.    It proved to be a treasure.   One of the first things I came across was an admonition not to get too comfortable by sitting back or slouching.  This helps the memory fo feel comfortable and start wandering.   So kneeling was recommended, though at my age I did sit rom time to time then kneel again.

The main lesson of the day was the story of the Burning Bush.    Moses saw the bush burning but not being consumed.   He approached the scene and was told by the voice of God "Take off your sandals for the ground you walk on is holy".   I spent some time meditating on this.   Why was it Holy Ground?"    Because God was there in a very special way and was creating the miracle of the Burning Bush which had left Moses in awe.     Then I reflected that I too was kneeling on Holy Ground for in the Tabernacle God had created an awesome miracle, the living body of Jesus God made Man.    I was present indeed in a very Holy Place.

 But is this how I have thought of the Church building  in my lifetime - a very Holy Place.     And when someone has asked me about Jesus  have I told them he is living in a very Holy Place just along the road, why not go and see Him.   Remember those first two disciples who asked him "Where do  you live" and He answered " Come and see"

While it is true that when Exposition  of the Blessed Sacrament takes place some do come because of the graces offered to the individual and the parish but when Jesus is alone in the Tabernacle he is very much alone.    Those who labour and are heavy burdened do not think of visiting him in his humble dwelling place on earth.   I have met non-catholics who have converted to the Catholic Faith because in entering a Catholic Church they felt the love of Jesus pouring out from the Tabernacle and piercing their heart.  

So I had a wonderful experience on that first watch.     Some will be reading this and saying "You are very lucky that you have the time.    It is true, I am very fortunate.    Parents of young families have so much to do with children to look after, housework to do, and meals to prepare and shopping to do.     while I can sit in a Church from 2.30pm to 4.30 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays just talking to God.    I wonder though if in the story of Martha and Mary Jesus was not scolding Martha for dong the chores that had to be done but perhaps Martha was giving him no time at all.    If you are visiting a Church to attend a meeting perhaps a look in the door and a "Hello, Jesus"  would be pleasing to the Blessed Sacrament.    And I know no better for of evangelisation  for a child than a parent talking them by the hand after school, or even before, to have a quick hello to Jesus and a thank you for any good things they have experienced, or to offer a prayer for Mum and Dad, or Grandma or Grnndad.    There are so many little things they can say and Jesus in the Tabernacle would be delighted with their visits.

If you do not know what to say, then I and I am sure others will be happy to talk to you and help you.

"Come you who labour and are heavy burdened and I will give you rest.    Jesus really means this and that is why he lives among us in our Tabernacles on our altars.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'