Growing up in a Catholic School in the 40`s

It was 1942 when I first started my Catholic School. A thin little chap I was terrified. But I soon settled in with the help of a very nice teacher called Miss Harkins. I was on he bright side so I picked up reading and writing very quickly. At 12 o`clock every day we would stop and say the Angelus and for the next half hour we would have our religious lesson. I loved hearing about Jesus and Mary, the lives of the saints, and we were taken through the stories of the bible. We also had the penny catechism and we learned to repeat the answers. In later life I was to be thankful for this since in difficulties the wisdom of the catechism comes back to my mind. One such occasion happened to my wife. We had a boy with learning difficulties who had to be removed into care. My wife suffered much and one day cried out in despair "Why did God allow him to be born? The answer came to her `To Know Him, love Him, and serve Him in this world and to be happy with Him forever in the next" This has proved prophetic for Kevin who now really loves going to Mass and visiting Churches, often on his own. But what about other quotes like "Depart from me ye cursed into everlasting fire which was prepared for the Devil and his Angels" Was Jesus really referring to the Jerusalem rubbish dump? And did we Catholic children really run around in fear and trembling? Well there was one teacher who announced if we did not go to Church we would go to Hell, but I do not remember this causing us any concern. There is so many positives in the catholic Faith. The beauty of the Blessed Sacrament, the motherhood of Mary, the angels and saints, Youth clubs, the beautiful things in our Churches. Yes, and good and holy priests. Fear of Hell? What utter tripe. There was one thing I was unhappy about and that was the use of corporal punishment in both Catholic and non-Catholic schools. The shameless way that this has been portrayed as something Catholic is disgraceful. It was the relic of the British way "Spare the rod and spoil the child. But many people have so much to answer for as they put into practice their revolution.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Translation of Luke 1: 28 in the Latin Vulgate by St Jerome.

FAIR AS THE MOON, BRIGHT AS THE SUN, TERRIBLE AS AN ARMY SET IN BATTLE ARRAY

The meaning of 'virgo Immaculata'